Strange Changes in Imagery

I don't know what happens to my aesthetic when I'm away from school. It's like I forget there is a whole world of art out there. Being away from influence can be a good thing, but it also means being away from inspiration. Imagery gets tired and trite, and I find myself forgetting all sorts of things that used to be taken for granted. I start forgetting that I used to find more things to be beautiful. I miss my library.
Nonetheless, if not to make something that looks good, than to at least make something... I've still been trying to keep up in my sketchbook. Mostly I'm either thinking really hard about what I'm going to draw before I draw it, or I'm not thinking enough, and things end up looking screwy or overworked.




drawn mostly from photos in the paper after the Haditha story (scandal?) broke.





I leave in a week for Precollege. In the meantime, I've been reading a lot. That is always the best part of being home for summer, finally having the time to read. I finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith, which was alright, maybe a bit overhyped. I'm reading You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers, a slight disappointment in comparison to the Heartbreaking blahblahblah. Strangely, both of them are good writers, I just feel the fluff in both of their writing styles. They have nice passages, beautifully written, but too often, they weigh themselves down.
Up next to read are The Devil Wears Prada since the movie's coming out, and I'd like a short, fast, kind of nothing read, and then Adverbs, by Daniel Handler (better known as Lemony Snickets). Adverbs is not written for kids though. I've read the first two chapters, as far as I can tell, it's a series of short stories, all centered around different kinds of love, each chapter is described as a different adverb (Obviously, Immediately, etc). I am trying to save it and enjoy it a little bit at a time.
I hope I can keep reading and finding things to read when school is back in session. It's important to not let art completely take over, and to have a healthy amount of my other interests to keep me sane.

No comments: