real horrorshow


I was approached to do a piece for a Kubrick Anthology being put out by a European publisher, and immediately wanted to do something for A Clockwork Orange. 

Last year, I'd intended to do a book cover for Clockwork Orange as part of my thesis, but I felt like it would be almost impossible to compete with the movie. Also, I've seen some other neat book covers for Clockwork Orange, (here and here) and it was too overwhelming to try and compete with all that. The movie is so engrained in our culture that no other depiction of Alex really felt right (even though he's like 14 in the book and is played by a 28 year old actor).

When I decided to do a piece about the movie, rather than the book, I wanted to do something other than the few famous scenes everyone knows. I didn't want this thing to be a Hot Topic poster, after all. One of the funniest scenes to me is Alex picking up the two oblivious girls in the record shop, and all the ridiculous sexual imagery and sillyness that ensues. Not my usual fare, but I had fun all the same. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Duncan Barton said...

This movie was freaky- nice job on your illustration. I really like the texture you have in all the edges. Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

i like it. the color transitions are definitely something you should keep doing.

EL Gato Negro said...

great scene Erin, your latest work is kicking so much.

Sam Egenes said...

hey! yeah im really glad you found me.
Hows it going? your work looks great!

Mr.BrandonHolmes said...

this image makes me happy